In the first year of your baby’s life,crying will be his primary way of communicating. In the beginning,it will difficult to understand why your baby is crying. Is it because he is hungry?sleepy? Col? or uneasy?
Crying is definitely his way of expressing his needs and catching your attention.
After a couple of weeks after birth,you will be able to pick up cues on what your baby’s cry means. Attending to your baby will only comfort him and he will know that he can turn to you for all of his needs.
Why Does You Baby Cry?
Here are some of the main reasons why your baby may cry:
One of the reasons why your baby cries is to express hunger.
- Your baby may show a couple of signs mentioned below before crying.
- Look out for licking lips,sucking hand or thumb and being uninterested to play.
Another main reasons why your baby may cry is to express that he is sleepy. Unlike adults,babies can’t put themselves to sleep so you need to put them to sleep.
- Your baby may also show signs of sleepiness before crying.
- Look out for yawns,rubbing eyes,rubbing ears and lack of interest to play.
Some babies don’t enjoy rolling in their poop and would therefore through a tantrum crying when they want to be changed.
- Check if your baby needs to be changes into a fresh diaper.
- If your baby has not pooped but the diaper is heavy with pee,its time for a change anyway.
Most babies experience tummy aches due to colic pains or gas during the first few weeks after birth. In some cases,this may easily extend till the fifth month.
Colic pain is almost mysterious in its behaviour and can leave your baby crying for long hours especially at night or late evening.
- Regularly massage your baby’s tummy in light circular clockwise motions to ease the pain.
- If your baby suffers from colic pain,discuss this with your paediatrician. Your doctor may recommend drops to ease the pain.
Once in a while,your baby may have tummy ache due to gas pain.
- To relieve your baby from gas,lay him on his back and move his legs in a gentle cycling motion pushing lightly against his tummy as you do so.
- If your baby has started solid food,avoid giving gaseous food until his tummy settles.
- In case your baby continues to have gas, discuss with your paediatrician.
- Your baby could have other tummy problems beside gas and colic pain like constipation,reflux, abdominal pain or milk allergy.
5. Unable To Burp.
Babies tend tobswallowvair when they breast feed or bottle feed and if they don’t burp it out,they feel uncomfortable.
- Hold your baby upright and rub his back after a feed to help burp.
- You can also make your baby sit upright andvrub his back to help him burp.
- I will write a post on different techniques to burp a baby soon.
- It is mandatory that your baby burps,as it will ease any discomfort and stop him from crying. It will also prevent him from spitting up milk.
6. Too Cold or Too Hot.
The general rule is to cover your baby with one extra layer than yourself to keep him warn and comfortable.
- You maybe swaddling your new born baby. Ensure you don’t make him too warm with too much exra clothing.
- If the weather is cold your baby may protest by crying during diaper change or change of clothes. Keep the room warm and try to distract your baby using toys.
- If your baby does not like a cold wipe during diaper change,you could consider buying a wipe warmer.
- Although babies don’t tend to cry when they are too hot,ensure that your baby is not too hot or does not break into sweat.
- In warmer days,keep baby’s clothing light and cover him with a thin blanket while sleeping. Only use a blanket when you are awake and can supervise to avoid SIDS (sudden infant death syndrome) due to chocking or smoothering.
- If you use air conditioning,keep the temperature at 25°c-26°c
Some babies experience a lot of pain around the time the first tooth has to sprout.
- Your baby may cry inconsolably during this time that can occur any time between 4 months to one year.
- Check for teething by placing a finger on your baby’s gum. If it feels extremely hard, you know your baby’s first tooth is about to sprout.
- Look out for chewing on toys,drooling,gum swelling,refusing food and loose motions.
- Provide your baby with a teething ring or teething toys. This may relieve him off some pain.
- If your baby has started solids,give him little cold yoghurt.
- If the pain percists,check with your paediatrician for a pain relief gel to numb the gums.
8.Needs to be held:
Your baby will constantly demand alot of hugging,cuddling and physical touch and all you have to do as a parent is give in to these demands.
- Your baby will be comforted by your touch,voice and heartbeat.
- Hold your baby close to your heart,sway him and sing to hill. This will console your crying baby.
- There is no such thing as spoiling your baby by picking him up the moment he starts to cry. He is a baby after all so go ahead and give him those infinite hugs and kisses.
9. Needs A Change of Activity.
Babies are constantly being introduced to new things in their lives-new sounds,objects,lights,people..etc over or under exposure can make your baby cry.
Sometimes your baby may have too much and all he needs is some quiet time.
- Take your baby to an empty room with low lighting and slow music to help h calm down.
- On the other hand,an exploring baby may want to be constantly on the move. Looking at new things and explore objects.
- While this can be taxing on you as a new parent, try and take your baby out regularly for walks and activities with other children .
- A change of atmosphere is good for you too.
10. Feeling Unwell.
Your baby maybe trying to convey with his cry that something is wrong.
- Check his body temperature with a thermometer.
- Check around the diaper are for rashes.
- Touch his ear to see if it bothers him,it might be an ear infection.
- This cry may sound different than other cries so go with your motherly instinct and call your paediatrician if you need to.
Ten Effective Ways On How to Stop Baby Crying.
Sometimes a comfortable swaddle is all it takes.
- Your baby may need the snug he experienced in the womb.
- Swaddling him while sleeping will make him feel like this.
2. Sway and Sing.
Hold your baby in your arms,sway and sing. This will comfort him.
- Don’t bother that you are not the best singer. To your baby,you are astar.
- Alternatively,you can play some slow soothing music in low volume.
3. Shush in Ears.
Swaddle your baby and hold him in your arms.
- Now shush into your darlings ear to calm him.
- This will calm him down,giving him the feeling of being in the womb.
4. Daddy Love.
Sometimes all your baby really wants is some daddy love. You maybe surprised that he calms down immediately.
- Don’t be disheartened thatbyou did not calm your baby down.
- A change of hands is good for both, the baby and you. Take a break and relax.
5. Take a Car Ride.
The steady movement of a car is similar to what your baby felt in the womb.
- A quick car ride may help calm your baby down.
- Make sure you place your baby on a car seat and strap him in before you drive out.
6. Strap on your baby carrier.
Babies love being close to your heart.
- Feeling your heartbeat and touch helps to soothe your baby.
- It’s what he had for nine months so it immediately tends to calm him.
7. Massage and bath.
Try giving your baby a nice body and head massage.
- Usually she your baby hits the milestone to seat,crawl or walk,their muscles tend to hurt.
- Use long gentle strokes to calm your baby.
- A massage followed by a warm water bath will help him relax and relieve his muscles of any ache.
- Combing his hair using a soft brush after a bath tends to put him to sleep.
8. Rock him in a baby swing.
If you have a baby swing,try putting your baby in the swing. The rocking motion and soft music may soothe him to sleep.
When your baby can’t stop crying,just show him something new to distract him.
- It could be a new toy,new sound or something old shown in a new way.
- distracting him will make him forget why he was crying in the first place.
- 10. Other ways.
- Switch on your hair dryer. The sound may amuse him and calm him down.
- Turn on the vaccum cleaner. The jarring sound tends to calm a baby.
- Step outside. Some fresh air a d chriping of birds may do wonders to a fussy baby.
Crying is an Integral part in a baby’s life. The good thing is that it reduces after the first 3 months. By then you will have an idea why your baby is crying.
While there is no one single method to calm a baby down,over a period of time you will know which ones work best for your baby. Once you have figured that out,try to stick to them. Changing every five minutes tends to freak you and the baby out when it is not working.
For example if you are sushing your baby’s ear,do it consistently for at least 5-7 minutes, before changing your method.
The key is to stay calm.if you get frustrated your baby will pick on your vibes and won’t calm down.
If nothing seems to work, consult with your doctor.
After 59000000 years writing this post,I am finally done. King K is teething so he is allover the place. If you have other ideas on how to soothe a baby leave a comment below and share with someone who might need it.